Where the Monkey Sleeps

"Oh my god have you tried their food? It's the bestest!" etc etc etc, that's all I ever heard about 'Where The Monkey Sleeps' so I decided to give them a taste test earlier in the week.

WTMS has become pretty well known for providing cutting edge good food without all the modern sandwich shop cool-than-thou-vibe trappings, the food does the talking, not the decor and that's how it should be. That's not to say that it's a dump, the decor is basic with LP Sleeves adorning the walls and there's plenty of comfy sofa seating. I especially enjoyed spotting all the old metal albums in the collection. Like the food, the premises falls on the right side of real Vs plastic and over-prepared. It feels comfortable and relaxing.

They offer a comprehensive menu which you can customize 'til your hearts content, which is great for me cos I'm a picky git!! I opted for the 'Loggins' pannini which consists of: Goat's cheese, char grilled peppers, olives, red onion, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, rosemary oil and balsamic vinegar. Is your mouth watering yet? It should be cos the food is even better in the mouth that it sounds on the menu (sadly that's not always the case in most places I've tried). The actual pannini bread was good too, I always look out for that, there's nothing worse than good filling on low quality bread!!

You know how people reminisce about the first great love of their lives and how nothing has ever compared? well I used to frequent a sandwich/pannini shop back when I was at art school and it has always been the measure for every sandwich I've had since, and last week the old faithful was bested for the first time. (OK it wasn't great love or anything so grand, but it was a great sandwich but you get the idea!)

The staff member who was on while I was in was very helpful and friendly too. I like it when people are chatty without being forced or too pushy so that was the icing on the cake. I'd definitely recommend that you try out their rub-a-dub-grub. It just might the #1 nibble in your lunchbox for a long time to come!

:D

Where The Monkey Sleeps,
182 West Regent Street,
Glasgow,
G2 4RU
Tel: (0141) 226 3406
E: info@monkeysleeps.com

Comments

Duncan said…
I've not been in there for a while. To be honest, I think it's gone downhill a bit since the first few years it was open. Always seems a bit busier, service a bit less good, etc than it used to be.

They used to do my favourite sandwich, the 'Feed The Goat', which was basically something random every time. Double-decker sandwich/roll, with a cheese,meat,salad combination in both parts (just whatever they feel like putting in when they make it), plus a drink and crisps/fruit, all for a £5.
Stopped selling them unfortunately.
DoTTTgain said…
It might be worth giving them another go, when I went in it was all good. Tasty food and very chilled. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Hottie of the Week - Michelle Keegan

Hottie of the Week - Yvonne Strahovski